Many of us feel that we can never reach our goals. We have a hard time dealing with performance anxiety or even social anxiety. We are intimidated by the success of others and by our own seeming inadequacies. And as a result, we become all too well acquainted with a feeling of defeat. The truth, however, is that the battle is often lost in our minds – long before we actually “fail” outwardly. This, believe it or not, is something that we can change.
Visualization is a very powerful tool in helping us reach our goals. Instead of setting yourself up for failure, gently guide yourself toward the biggest success story of your life by envisioning your success beforehand. Instead of filling your mind with negative thoughts that will only make you doubt yourself more, allow yourself some positive and healthy motivation. Below are five tips to help you learn the skill of visualization.
1. Identify exactly what you want your success to be. One of the greatest steps toward success is figuring out what success means to each of us. You can’t get what you want if you don’t know what you want. So you need to identify what would make you feel successful. What is it exactly that you are trying to attain? A stunning musical or theatrical performance? A strong, healthy body? A positive response to a job interview? You need to have a specific event in mind and a specific outcome that you want.
2. Envision what your success will look like. Now it is time to start actually writing the story. What would your life be like if you succeeded? This is the place where your imagination can go wild. Let yourself see those enormous muscles flexing. Let yourself hear the audience bursting into applause. Let yourself feel the joy and excitement that you will feel upon reaching your goal. Visualize how things will play out when you succeed.
3. Be specific. Don’t let your visualization stay on a general level. Instead, get into all the nitty-gritty details. It’s okay to imagine specific conversations, facial expressions, or even touches. Give your mind a particular context and a location in which to create your success. Take time to imagine every step of the way – the planning, the preparation, and the outcome.
4. Write down your success. Next comes the step that many people shy away from – but is absolutely crucial! It is time to get your success out of your mind and begin making it a part of reality. You can express your success in any way you feel most powerful. It is probably simplest just to write it down. But if you prefer to draw or even act it out, go for it. Either way, let your success become something tangible that you can read or see or feel.
5. Constantly focus your mind on the positive. You have laid a great foundation for actualizing your goal. Now you just need to keep your eye on the prize and press forward! Let the positive thoughts and feelings surround you as you visualize your success and motivate you as you work toward your goal. You need to be strict with your mind and leave no room for negative or demeaning thoughts. Instead, fill your mind with encouraging thoughts and never lose sight of how it looked and felt when you visualized your success.
Much of what we can or cannot do is based on what our minds tell us. If you mentally tear yourself down before any situation, you will be most likely to fail. However, by building a success story even before the event, you set yourself up for victory! And victory is what Open Eye Wellness is all about!